Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Last but not least....

My holiday is becoming a rapidly fading memory as work and life in general take over again. (I cannot believe it is nearly 4 weeks since I left Paris and began the journey home. ) So what have I got (photos aside) that helps keep the delight and enjoyment experienced while travelling alive?

For those that have been reading my earlier posts, you will note a distinct lack of information on purchases of the fabric variety. Well all I can say is that I have been saving the best to last! The Sisters have long been aware of the beautiful reproduction Dutch Chintzes from Den Haan & Wagenmakers. In fact Di has designed the Burnt Quilt around a tree of life panel from D H & W that we purchased from Threadbear. And, over the past few months, Di has developed a business relationship and friendship with Petra Prins, who in partnership with Nel Kooiman, owns D H & W.

So one of the first things I did when I arrived at Pour l'Amour du Fil in Nantes was to find Petra's stand and introduce myself to her. Petra is one of life's beautiful people - she exudes warmth and laughter and was so welcoming. I was delighted to meet her in Nantes. And completely fell in love with those wonderful chintzes! I determined then and there that my lasting memory of the holiday would be a purchase of said fabrics to make a quilt using ideas sparked while drooling over the exhibition at the V&A.

We were to meet Petra again in Veldhoven where Bev, Irene and I were welcomed like long lost friends. In between we also visited the D H & W shop in Amsterdam where Annelies was equally welcoming. And this is where I let the moths out of the wallet.

First purchase was this stunning border print.
Then came a beautifully presented box of strips of over 60 fabrics from the D H & W chintzes.
Don't you just love the pin cushion at the heart of the box. And finally a wonderful selection of the solids to complement all these gorgeous florals.
The photos really don't do the fabric justice as the colours are rich and saturated and, being chintz, all have got that wonderful polished finish. By our local standards, the fabrics are expensive although they are 60 inches wide. But really,when you see something so beautiful, and can turn memories into something to love and use for the rest of your life, who cares!

So for anyone travelling to Europe, and Amsterdam in particular, please, please visit D H & W. Or if you find yourself in Zutphen drop in at Petra Prins Patchwork and Quilting. You will not be disappointed.

Until next time,

Meghan

6 comments:

  1. Yes I agree about Petra Prins she comes over to the FOQ in Birmingham every year. Its the first stand I make for, I have had some wonderful fabric from her over the years. When you fall in love with fabric, What the Heck! Their could be worst things to spend ones money on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabric you bought at TH&W in Amsterdam! I wonder what you are going to create......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! That fabric is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meghan,
    Fabulous blog, a great read.I've just spent 2 amazing hours Google Talking to Petra and the girls who were attending their first Phebe class in the Zutphen shop.Petra is truly the gorgeous, warm individual you described.You will have to bring the fabrics along ,again, to our next Sisterhood get together as the dreaded migraine got in the way of me drooling over them!
    Lots of Love
    Di F

    ReplyDelete
  5. So jealous, of both your trip and that fabulous fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RR
    เกม Candy Dreams ค่าย EVO Play จากเว็บไซต์ ซูเปอร์สล็อต 98 ที่เต็มไปด้วยความดึงดูดของโลกแห่งขนมหวาน
    ไม่ว่าจะเป็นอมยิ้ม ช็อกโกแลต หรือขนมหวานแสนอร่อย มาพร้อมกับกราฟิกที่มีความน่ารัก
    ผู้เล่นทุกคนจะได้เพลิดเพลินไปกับบรรยากาศแห่งการเอาชนะอันแสนหวานและโบนัสที่มีไม่รู้จบ
    ภายในตัวเกมได้มีรางวัลใหญ่หรือที่เราเรียกว่ารางวัลแจ็กพอตซ่อนอยู่ภายในเกม หากคุณคือผู้โชคดีอาจจะได้รับรางวัลก้อนโตได้โดยไม่รู้ตัว
    สล็อต888
    สล็อต888

    ReplyDelete